Literally tens of thousands of dollars are riding on the agent you hire to market, present and negotiate the sale of your Vancouver home. And let’s face it – in real estate, as in life – not all things are created equal. Honest answers to these questions from the agents you are interviewing will help you to decide whom to entrust to market and sell your home for top dollar with the least amount of hassle.
- What makes you different? Why should I list with you? What unique strategies do you use?
Today, it is a much tougher and more dynamic real estate market than it was even 5 years ago. A successful agent stays up-to-speed on the complex, multi-dimensional marketing needed to reach all buyers, including mobile and internet-savvy consumers and international prospects.
- How many properties have you marketed and sold in the last 12 months?
Did you know that only 10% of Vancouver agents sold more than 10 homes in the last 12 months? Working with top producers ensures you are receiving the benefit of their experience, resources and their proven plan to deliver a successful sale.
- How many contracts have you negotiated in the last 10 years?
The more contracts negotiated and the more exposure to cross cultural scenarios translate into better advice which delivers better results for you.
- Do you work solo or with a team?
There are simply too many steps in the full process for a solo agent to do a great job of everything. A team approach is the only way to ensure you receive the attention to detail and the full service and consistent coverage that you deserve.
- How do you manage all showings across all of your listings?
Consider that taking off the basic two weeks of holidays, stats and 1 day per week means your solo agent misses 74 days (20%) of the year to meet face to face with prospective buyers and highlight the best of your home. Does the agent have licensed property showing specialists as part of their team or do they miss opportunities to show and sell?
- What is your pricing strategy for my home?
A realistic, market-based price point will attract the full scope of buyers and not just those looking to “steal the deal”. Setting the right price requires skill, experience, plus local market trends knowledge.
- How long, on average, does it take your listings to sell?
Ask if the agent tends to sell a home faster or slower than average and compare that answer to your goals; this is an indicator of their expertise.
- Beyond posting my home on MLS and its related pickup sites, where will my home be marketed online?
Today, 92% of home buyers use the internet during their home buying process and nearly half of buyers look online as their first step. Does he/she have a website dedicated exclusively to showcasing their clients’ homes? Does the agent’s internet marketing plan assure accessibility in Chinese and optimization for mobile devices?
- Do you provide references from past clients?
A trustworthy agent will be delighted to provide references from satisfied clients for you to review.
- What homes have you sold in my area?
An informed agent will provide you with their performance in your neighbourhood and area.
- Do you provide a written schedule of the services you deliver?
A set of performance promises will clearly detail what you can expect from the agent, including recourse if they don’t deliver.
- Do you provide regular, updated market evaluations on my home?
Once your home is listed, how often do you update me on relevant market activity and overview?
- What is your marketing budget for my home so as to stand out versus comparable listings?
What percentage of the agent’s commission will be dedicated to the marketing budget and how does this compare?
- What marketing media mix will you use to display my home to the widest array of potential buyers?
Successful agents use a mix of search advertising, social media plus web sites for Vancouver, China, the U.S. and other international markets, and print media.